[E-devel] ssh broken
Mike Blumenkrantz
2017-07-10 13:33:45 UTC

I've been getting this error for some time now on one of my machines when I
try to do git/ssh operations:

and the repository exists.

Others have been experiencing this issue as well, so it seems to be a new
issue with server configuration.
Davide Andreoli
2017-07-10 19:24:52 UTC
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,
I've been getting this error for some time now on one of my machines when I
and the repository exists.
Others have been experiencing this issue as well, so it seems to be a new
issue with server configuration.
Same here, I cannot perform any git operation anymore
Stefan Schmidt
2017-07-11 09:37:53 UTC
I've been getting this error for some time now on one of my machines when I
and the repository exists.
Others have been experiencing this issue as well, so it seems to be a new
issue with server configuration.
Same here, I cannot perform any git operation anymore
My situation is that I can pull and push to git just fine. But in the
exact same shell I get a error when trying to log into a shell of our
server.

***@work efl (master) $ ssh download.enlightenment.org

This blocks the upload of any efl beta2 tarballs right now.
I will try to debug this a bit further on my end. As far as I can do that.

regards
Stefan Schmidt
Stefan Schmidt
2017-07-11 10:21:53 UTC
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
I've been getting this error for some time now on one of my machines when I
and the repository exists.
Others have been experiencing this issue as well, so it seems to be a new
issue with server configuration.
Same here, I cannot perform any git operation anymore
My situation is that I can pull and push to git just fine. But in the
exact same shell I get a error when trying to log into a shell of our
server.
This blocks the upload of any efl beta2 tarballs right now.
I will try to debug this a bit further on my end. As far as I can do that.
It looks like we have two different problems here:

1) Git access over ssh does not work. Zmike(?) as well as Dave seem to
have this problem. A lot of people are pushing and pulling without a
problem at the same time though.

2) SSH shell access to our server. Thanks to some hints from Marcel I
think we can narrow it down to a problem with our ssh proxy command
setup. I can access git.e.org as well as devs.e.org without a problem.
Both of them are not accessed via the proxy command, but directly.
For all server where I would need the proxy command (download, build,
etc) it fails for me and it also fails for Marcel. Which sounds to me
like a server side problem and nothing local.

regards
Stefan Schmidt
Mike Blumenkrantz
2017-07-11 12:23:53 UTC
I've now lost all ssh access to all enlightenment-related servers on all my
machines. The one computer which was previously working now fails with a
broken pipe error, and the rest have the same connection closed error.
Jérémy Zurcher
2017-07-11 12:30:14 UTC
broken pipe error here too,
was working fine 2hours ago
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
I've now lost all ssh access to all enlightenment-related servers on all my
machines. The one computer which was previously working now fails with a
broken pipe error, and the rest have the same connection closed error.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
[...]
--- Hell'O from Yverdoom

Jérémy (jeyzu)
Mike Blumenkrantz
2017-07-11 12:35:08 UTC
Okay, it's back-ish now on my one machine that was working. Coincidentally
all web services were also down when I was getting the broken pipe error.
Post by Jérémy Zurcher
broken pipe error here too,
was working fine 2hours ago
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
machines. The one computer which was previously working now fails with a
broken pipe error, and the rest have the same connection closed error.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Stefan Schmidt
2017-07-11 14:32:10 UTC
Hello.
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Okay, it's back-ish now on my one machine that was working. Coincidentally
all web services were also down when I was getting the broken pipe error.
That was a whole server down problem. Have been restarted since then.

regards
Stefan Schmidt
Jonathan Aquilina
2017-07-11 17:54:25 UTC
I'm wondering if the random issue we have been seeing with everything
going down could be related to the ssh issues you encountered as well.
Which is a bit worrying in all honesty!

Beber where do we stand on starting on the items we discussed to start
rebuilding the infrastructure.

---
Regards,

Jonathan Aquilina
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Okay, it's back-ish now on my one machine that was working. Coincidentally
all web services were also down when I was getting the broken pipe error.
broken pipe error here too,
was working fine 2hours ago
On Tuesday 11 July 2017 12:23, Mike Blumenkrantz wrote : I've now lost all ssh access to all enlightenment-related servers on all my machines. The one computer which was previously working now fails with a
broken pipe error, and the rest have the same connection closed error.
Hello.
On 07/10/2017 09:24 PM, Davide Andreoli wrote: 2017-07-10 15:33 GMT+02:00 Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,

Stefan Schmidt
2017-07-11 14:35:54 UTC
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
I've been getting this error for some time now on one of my machines when I
and the repository exists.
Others have been experiencing this issue as well, so it seems to be a new
issue with server configuration.
Same here, I cannot perform any git operation anymore
My situation is that I can pull and push to git just fine. But in the
exact same shell I get a error when trying to log into a shell of our
server.
This blocks the upload of any efl beta2 tarballs right now.
I will try to debug this a bit further on my end. As far as I can do that.
1) Git access over ssh does not work. Zmike(?) as well as Dave seem to
have this problem. A lot of people are pushing and pulling without a
problem at the same time though.
Zmike, Dave could you retry? The problem Marcel and I had is fixed, not
sure of that would help your scenario at all. See below.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
2) SSH shell access to our server. Thanks to some hints from Marcel I
think we can narrow it down to a problem with our ssh proxy command
setup. I can access git.e.org as well as devs.e.org without a problem.
Both of them are not accessed via the proxy command, but directly.
For all server where I would need the proxy command (download, build,
etc) it fails for me and it also fails for Marcel. Which sounds to me
like a server side problem and nothing local.
Marcel and Raster figured it out. The sshs config had
AllowAgentForwarding no set. For people with a local ssh user
configuration whioch enables this the problem did not exist as the user
config did override the server one and they have been able to use the
proxy. That was the case for raster, thus it worked for him.

Changing this to yes in the daemon confif makes the setup work for me
and Marcel again. The real question is now how that changed and why.
Beber, Jonathon does that ring a bell for you?

regards
Stefan Schmidt
Davide Andreoli
2017-07-11 17:23:24 UTC
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
[...]
Yes, works for me now, I can git-pull again
Thanks for the fix
Mike Blumenkrantz
Stefan Schmidt
2017-07-11 19:47:02 UTC
Hello.
Post by Davide Andreoli
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
[...]
This puzzles me a bit. Normally a git pull would not need to go through
the proxy. Do you have by any chance git.e.org also configured to go
through the proxy command?

For example by having this in your local ssh_config

Host *.enlightenment.org
User <LOGIN>
ProxyCommand ssh -q e5v1.enlightenment.org -W %h:%p

but no extra white list entry for git like:

Host git.enlightenment.org
User git
ProxyCommand none

?

regards
Stefan Schmidt
Mike Blumenkrantz
Stefan Schmidt
2017-07-11 20:19:26 UTC
Hello.
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
I have both entries.
In that case I have no idea why it works again for you. Must be random
oddness around you :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
2017-07-12 00:05:43 UTC
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 19:57:33 +0000 Mike Blumenkrantz
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
I have both entries.
see my following mail to dave.. you likely suffer the same issue. i'm not sure
there every should have been a proxycmd set up for git.e.org. for other servers
that dont have a public ip and go via the haproxy as a front end - yes. you
need a proxycmd to ss directly to those if you are uploading files for download
for example ... but not git :)
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Davide Andreoli
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Post by Davide Andreoli
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Post by Davide Andreoli
Davide Andreoli
2017-07-11 20:00:40 UTC
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,
[...]
This is my ssh config file:

Host e? e?.enlightenment.org e?v*.enlightenment.org
User davemds
ProxyCommand none

Host *.enlightenment.org
User davemds
ProxyCommand ssh -q e5v1.enlightenment.org -W %h:%p

I really cannot remember where I copied this from, I think somewhere
in the wiki, but I cannot find it anymore
Post by Stefan Schmidt
regards
Stefan Schmidt
Stefan Schmidt
2017-07-11 20:18:01 UTC
Hello.
Post by Davide Andreoli
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,
[...]
https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/hosting/ssh/

So you are missing the git.e.org white list entry which explains why it
failed for git over ssh for you and is now fixed. That makes more sense
now. :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt
Davide Andreoli
2017-07-11 21:46:53 UTC
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
mail.com
Hi,
[...]
cool, I updated my ssh config following the wiki page
thanks
Post by Stefan Schmidt
regards
Stefan Schmidt
Kai Huuhko
2017-07-12 11:39:48 UTC
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Davide Andreoli
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,
[...]
I just subscribed to this page. Could we also have the developer
facing infra changes announced on a mailing list? Maybe a separate
list, or use e-announce? Even if they're temporary, would be great to
get a short note about them.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
So you are missing the git.e.org white list entry which explains why it
failed for git over ssh for you and is now fixed. That makes more sense now.
:)
regards
Stefan Schmidt
Stefan Schmidt
2017-07-12 16:11:38 UTC
Hello.
Post by Kai Huuhko
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Davide Andreoli
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,
[...]
There was no change you could have been notified about. The content of
that page is over a year old (the latest change from Tom was only a
condensed version).

he setup with having direct git over ssh access without the proxy was
always like this. At least I do not remember it have been different.

regards
Stefan Schmidt
Kai Huuhko
2017-07-18 02:03:14 UTC
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Kai Huuhko
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Davide Andreoli
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,
[...]
Something must have been changed in the servers' ssh configuration, as
I haven't been able to access any e servers through ssh for a few
days. I last succesfully did so on 9th of July. Now it just drops the
connection immediately after I have authenticated with my key.

My local git configuration has for the past couple of years been
exactly the same as the example in that phab page. Before that I had
to have an empty git config for at least one release cycle, as the
proxy command would not allow me to ssh into
download.enlightenment.org.

So could you, or anyone who is able, please check the ssh server
situation and announce if we actually need to renew our keys, or if
you find anything in the logs why it might be rejecting connections. I
can't see the reason locally, even with ssh -vvv. Thanks.
2017-07-18 06:07:52 UTC
Post by Kai Huuhko
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Kai Huuhko
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Davide Andreoli
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,
[...]
No one has informed me or anyone of any changes made.. config. upgrade... I
don't know.
Post by Kai Huuhko
My local git configuration has for the past couple of years been
exactly the same as the example in that phab page. Before that I had
to have an empty git config for at least one release cycle, as the
proxy command would not allow me to ssh into
download.enlightenment.org.
do you use the proxy stuff or not? the pahab page really is being stupid
suggesting you use a proxy for git.e.org ... as its publicly available.
Post by Kai Huuhko
So could you, or anyone who is able, please check the ssh server
situation and announce if we actually need to renew our keys, or if
you find anything in the logs why it might be rejecting connections. I
can't see the reason locally, even with ssh -vvv. Thanks.
well simotek's key was too weak. bu5hm4n has the proxy thing set up .... what i
have seen is simply clients disconnecting. not being kicked off (in sshd logs).
2017-07-12 00:04:32 UTC
Post by Davide Andreoli
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Hello.
Post by Stefan Schmidt
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,
[...]
the above would be the problem. git.e.org wil be going via the proxy. you
shouldnt have to and should be able to get to git.e.org directly. the proxy was
blocking you. i do not use the proxy command to get to git.e.org ... i DO use
it to ssh to download.e.org and www etc. ... but it seems to work for me
because i have an ssh config there for my user that permits me to do so.

since i made it now available to every user by default it should keep working.
but remove your proxycommand stuff. it's not needed at least for git.e.org and
just causes you trouble.
Post by Davide Andreoli
I really cannot remember where I copied this from, I think somewhere
in the wiki, but I cannot find it anymore
Post by Stefan Schmidt
regards
Stefan Schmidt
Jonathan Aquilina
2017-07-10 20:39:57 UTC
Hi Mike,

I think at one point Carsten had disabled ssh based git due to an
abnormal amount of traffic originating to git over ssh. It was a
suspected cause of the server issues at the time but it didnt solve the
server crashes.

@Carsten is ssh access to git still offline

---
Regards,

Jonathan Aquilina
Hi,
2017-07-10 23:31:50 UTC
Post by Jonathan Aquilina
Hi Mike,
I think at one point Carsten had disabled ssh based git due to an
abnormal amount of traffic originating to git over ssh. It was a
suspected cause of the server issues at the time but it didnt solve the
server crashes.
nope. i never did.
Post by Jonathan Aquilina
@Carsten is ssh access to git still offline
WFM. or did last night. still does this morning.
Post by Jonathan Aquilina
---
Regards,
Jonathan Aquilina
Hi,
Stefan Schmidt
2017-07-11 09:39:34 UTC
Hello.
Post by Jonathan Aquilina
Hi Mike,
I think at one point Carsten had disabled ssh based git due to an
abnormal amount of traffic originating to git over ssh. It was a
suspected cause of the server issues at the time but it didnt solve the
server crashes.
@Carsten is ssh access to git still offline
No. I just pushed something to git and ssh is the only way we support
for this.

To me this looks more like something related to the different keys of
the developers and maybe some tightened ssh server policies. Have you or
Beber changed anything there recently?

regards
Stefan Schmidt
Jonathan Aquilina

Simon Lees
2017-07-11 00:42:53 UTC
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,
I've been getting this error for some time now on one of my machines when I
and the repository exists.
Others have been experiencing this issue as well, so it seems to be a new
issue with server configuration.
I had to generate a stronger ssh key then it started working fine again.
I followed
https://help.github.com/articles/generating-a-new-ssh-key-and-adding-it-to-the-ssh-agent/
which recommended

ssh-keygen -t rsa -b 4096 -C "***@example.com"

Which seems to be happily accepted by the server. Its likely some older
keys are no longer supported as they are no longer secure.
--
Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30
Michael Blumenkrantz
I've been using 4096-bit RSA keys successfully for 10 years now and I don't plan to switch if I don't have to. All 3 of my machines use the same type of key, and only one of them works with git as of now. This has been an intermittent issue for years, but it's never lasted for such a long time before, nor have I heard of it affecting anyone else until now.
Simon Lees
2017-07-11 02:24:23 UTC
Post by Michael Blumenkrantz
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 10:12:53 +0930
Post by Simon Lees
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,
[...]
Ok, my keys were weaker which is why I regenerated mine.

2017-07-11 02:33:46 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 20:56:24 -0400 Michael Blumenkrantz
Post by Michael Blumenkrantz
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 10:12:53 +0930
Post by Simon Lees
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
[...]