[E-devel] any plans to add to efm virtual filesystem support api
Vasiliy Tolstov
2017-07-13 13:50:47 UTC
I want to able to connect to remote ftp/webdav/mtp/ssh servers via efm.
kde and gnome have abstraction layer and api. So i easy can add
support for any fs.
How much work needed for this and do you have plans for this?
--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: ***@selfip.ru
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
2017-07-13 14:24:58 UTC
Post by Vasiliy Tolstov
I want to able to connect to remote ftp/webdav/mtp/ssh servers via efm.
kde and gnome have abstraction layer and api. So i easy can add
support for any fs.
How much work needed for this and do you have plans for this?
no plans. lots of work. the only thing i think that is a good solution is to
actually have a mountable fs (fuse or something similar) do this so efm and
everything deals with a real fs.
The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler) ***@rasterman.com
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-07-13 16:20:07 UTC
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 23:24:58 +0900
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 16:50:47 +0300 Vasiliy Tolstov
Post by Vasiliy Tolstov
I want to able to connect to remote ftp/webdav/mtp/ssh servers via
efm. kde and gnome have abstraction layer and api. So i easy can add
support for any fs.
How much work needed for this and do you have plans for this?
no plans. lots of work. the only thing i think that is a good
solution is to actually have a mountable fs (fuse or something
similar) do this so efm and everything deals with a real fs.
Or maybe an app like gftp that can handle ftp and ssh, and maybe add
mtp support, since its similar operation. Could do with efm, but need
ideally dual pane, local/remote. Which would require a change to efm
UI. Pretty sure it does not have pane support now. Two file browsers in
same window.

Maybe something to add to the EFL Apps ToDo
https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/efl_apps_todo/

Not sure about others, but on KDE/Plasma, the MTP support was horrible.
So bad I used adb pull/push to get images and media off my Android
devices. I looked at a QT based MTP app, it was ok. Haven't checked out
new version. Moving away from QT stuff, so likely remove it from my
overlay.

https://github.com/whoozle/android-file-transfer-linux
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/tree/master/net-misc/android-file-transfer-linux

MTP seems to be a horrible protocol and has never been very reliable. I
could see a slew of bugs if adding such support efm.

Not sure if verne has plans for any of this stuff, or has it already.
https://github.com/marcelhollerbach/verne
William L. Thomson Jr.
Stephen Houston
Vasiliy Tolstov
2017-07-14 07:33:04 UTC
Post by Vasiliy Tolstov
[...]
I don't have any issues with mtp using simple-mtp
--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: ***@selfip.ru
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-07-14 15:28:08 UTC
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:33:04 +0300
Post by Vasiliy Tolstov
Post by William L. Thomson Jr.
https://github.com/whoozle/android-file-transfer-linux
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/tree/master/net-misc/android-file-transfer-linux
I don't have any issues with mtp using simple-mtp
I had decent luck with android-file-transfer-linux, since it did not
use any of the standard libraries the others use. Maybe its an issue
with libptp/libmtp. Does not seem like simple-mtpfs does either.

Assuming this is the simple-mtp you are using.
https://github.com/phatina/simple-mtpfs
William L. Thomson Jr.
Vasiliy Tolstov
2017-07-14 07:42:04 UTC
Post by William L. Thomson Jr.
Not sure if verne has plans for any of this stuff, or has it already.
https://github.com/marcelhollerbach/verne
Interesting app, i'm try to build it
--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: ***@selfip.ru
Boris Faure
2017-07-13 16:38:30 UTC
Post by Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
Post by Vasiliy Tolstov
I want to able to connect to remote ftp/webdav/mtp/ssh servers via efm.
kde and gnome have abstraction layer and api. So i easy can add
support for any fs.
How much work needed for this and do you have plans for this?
no plans. lots of work. the only thing i think that is a good solution is to
actually have a mountable fs (fuse or something similar) do this so efm and
everything deals with a real fs.
I fully agree. There are lots of projects which do that fine with FUSE.
Just build on those. Then you'll have sshfs, mtp-fs, s3fs,
 for free.

Just wrap libmount correctly and that's it.

(disclaimer: I write filesystems for a living.)
--
Boris Faure
Pointer Arithmetician
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-07-13 17:10:15 UTC
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 18:38:30 +0200
Post by Boris Faure
I fully agree. There are lots of projects which do that fine with
FUSE. Just build on those. Then you'll have sshfs, mtp-fs, s3fs,

for free.
Just wrap libmount correctly and that's it.
(disclaimer: I write filesystems for a living.)
Which I read as you volunteer to add such support to efm, awesome! :)
William L. Thomson Jr.
Vasiliy Tolstov
e-mail: ***@selfip.ru
Vasiliy Tolstov
2017-07-14 07:32:13 UTC
Post by Vasiliy Tolstov
I want to able to connect to remote ftp/webdav/mtp/ssh servers via efm.
kde and gnome have abstraction layer and api. So i easy can add
support for any fs.
How much work needed for this and do you have plans for this?
no plans. lots of work. the only thing i think that is a good solution is to
actually have a mountable fs (fuse or something similar) do this so efm and
everything deals with a real fs.
This is hard =(
--
Vasiliy Tolstov,