[E-devel] Unwanted artifacts on clock
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-05-06 15:48:44 UTC
This is ridiculous. The default theme makes the clock look bad. I
opened a bug on such. I also recently found at least 1 way to fix such
ugly issues.

I do not appreciate the ticket having been closed twice now over
semantics. This is a valid bug. The clock looks horrible by default. As
seen in the attached screenshot.

https://phab.enlightenment.org/T5375

This is a valid bug/issue and should not be closed till resolved in
the current theme.
William L. Thomson Jr.
Mike Blumenkrantz
2017-05-06 16:06:54 UTC

Please refrain from cross-posting complaints like this from the bug tracker
to the mailing list. You are reaching the same people in both cases, and it
just creates more noise for them to sift through.

Thanks,
Mike
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-05-06 16:58:33 UTC
On Sat, 06 May 2017 16:06:54 +0000
Post by Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,
Please refrain from cross-posting complaints like this from the bug
tracker to the mailing list. You are reaching the same people in both
cases, and it just creates more noise for them to sift through.
That was because it seemed the status would remain as such. Which it is
strange to continue discussion on something closed as invalid. Usually
tickets are not the best place for discussion, mailing lists are better
suited for such. Thus I came here, but then the discussion resumed
there....

It is more interesting that this topic came up before on list in 2014
as mentioned in ticket. I have a feeling it will continue to repeat. I
am curious why another option was not pursued.

As suggested here
https://sourceforge.net/p/enlightenment/mailman/message/30098076/

I guess that was leaving it up to others to make the 3rd option.

Also per that thread, seems like a minority liked the looked, and
others did not. This very likely may continue to be the case. Which
means first impression of E and its quality for some will be poor.

Most will not understand this is a "retro" neon clock look etc. They
will think it has a bug or something. They will not like the look, and
carry that opinion onto others aspects of E. Likely moving onto
something else....
William L. Thomson Jr.
Al Poole

William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-05-06 19:17:16 UTC
On Sat, 6 May 2017 19:59:04 +0100
Post by Al Poole
This is NOT a bug.
It's intended to look like that - vacuum tube clock.
If you have to tell people what it looks like. Its a poor design.
Others have said Neon clock. Though could resemble old LED's where
you could see the lines for other digits.

Like this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SmartSet-Radio-Alarm-Clock-LED/33314888

To me It looks nothing like most vacuum tube clocks
https://www.google.com/search?q=vacuum+tube+clock&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Maybe like this one, which seems rare.
http://makezine.com/2009/12/25/sweet-vacuum-tube-clock-build/

Having been around since the first PCB prototyping. It is not what
I think of when I think vacuum tubes. Having spent some time around
them. I was there for the start of this company. Not affiliated, but I
saw it come about first hand. Kara and George split years ago. George
was the one who was the driving force. Kara was more technical.
http://www.dehavillandhifi.com/
William L. Thomson Jr.
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
2017-05-07 03:31:11 UTC
Post by William L. Thomson Jr.
On Sat, 6 May 2017 19:59:04 +0100
Post by Al Poole
This is NOT a bug.
It's intended to look like that - vacuum tube clock.
If you have to tell people what it looks like. Its a poor design.
Others have said Neon clock. Though could resemble old LED's where
you could see the lines for other digits.
that's as wrong as can be. so what if it's neon or nixie? they serve the same
purpose - glowing elements used to light up a display. in fact being ambiguous
is kind of neat. the viewer can have their own interpretation. not to mention
the vast majority of icons in a ui are not clear on what they are but they get
the job done. looking at the "junk" icon in sylphed here it looks like it could
be a box with tissues poking out of it, but it's meant to be a paper tray with
scrunched up paper. it doesn't matter. i see another icon that looks more like
a windmill but it's meant to be a rolodex (i've never owned a rolodex but i
happen to ave looked up what they are so i can understand such icons). the
world of visual art is full of ambiguity... and often when it's not crucial to
meaning (which is the case with the clock) it's nice to have artistic license
to do that.

do you want to get into an art discussion? my mother is a professional portrait
artist. she has a university degree in fine arts. i have learned a lot from her
growing up in a house full of art my entire life. my parents have dedicated
rooms to her artwork in their house and there is almost not a wall spare
without some painting on it. i grew up my entire life surrounded by paintings
from realistic to abstract. i myself won the art prize at my school year after
year. i chose to go the computer route as to me software is art coming to life.
but art is something i have spent my life around, if creating it or
manipulating it or observing it and it's creation up close. if you want to
argue artistic interpretation, license, etc. ... i'm all up for that.

but i have learned that people do not have the same TASTE. there is no such
thing as "universally perfect art that everyone loves". beauty is in the eye of
the beholder. tastes change over time with fashion too - some people are more
influenced than others. what you interpret in something artistic often is a
result of your experiences in life and sometimes some small percentage of
people simply lack those experiences to interpret the way it was intended. this
is reality in a world of different cultures and history.
Post by William L. Thomson Jr.
Like this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SmartSet-Radio-Alarm-Clock-LED/33314888
To me It looks nothing like most vacuum tube clocks
https://www.google.com/search?q=vacuum+tube+clock&source=lnms&tbm=isch
it's a simplified version without all the extra tubes, base and so on. it's
slightly stylized to fit in with everything else. like:

OMG! that looks wrong! cat's aren't blue and brown! they don't have triangles
on their legs! .... it's called artistic licence. i can very well draw
something that looks totally photorealistic. i actually did a clock that was
with glass tubes, mesh wire, and so on ... and i chose a simplified version
like this after trying many alternatives and variations because the more
realistic versions were far too busy. without the unlit digits though it just
was too simple and that was not the intended look.

if you think you an do better. go draw a better one and propose it. please do
so. just removing the base isn't better - been there, done that. i've tried
many variations of look already. perhaps you have one i haven't tried that
people do things looks better and that fits.

saying "oh but i don't have the artistic skills, so someone else do it for me"
is a cop out. go learn those skills then just like you learned to program if
you don't have them. so come up with an alternative you think looks better,
that scales up and down nicely (looks good both small and big) is legible at a
glance, and fits the overall look and feel... then let's all consider that.
Post by William L. Thomson Jr.
Maybe like this one, which seems rare.
http://makezine.com/2009/12/25/sweet-vacuum-tube-clock-build/
i considered the "digital led" style and really didn't like how it looked. thus
i went the nixie/neon look.

if the purpose o the theme was to be minimalistic or flat or whatever... then
it'd have a different look.

but if you think you have a better look - come up with one.

but keep in min this is a design/artistic exercise, not one of coding/bugs so
to speak. when films are made there will be a director, artistic lead, or when
games produced the same, and multiple artists will present their ideas and one
get chosen... the others may then go "but mine is better" and some may agree...
but a decision will be made in the interests of the whole piece of work and
it's artistic merit and design. when you have dozens or hundreds of artists
working on a production this is necessary. if you have one artist doing it all
it's easier as this process is done as an individual perhaps with feedback
along the way (and you can bet you the theme got feedback along the way). if
you wish to redo this process ... then come up with new content that is better
than what is there, and better here will be a totally subjective decision in
the end based on opinions from many people and with a good dash of artistic
direction thrown in... :)
The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler) ***@rasterman.com
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-05-06 19:29:28 UTC
On Sat, 6 May 2017 19:59:04 +0100
Post by Al Poole
This is NOT a bug.
It's intended to look like that - vacuum tube clock.
I think the correct term is Vacuum Fluorescent Display
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_fluorescent_display

Not sure its really the same as regular vaccum tubes, as these
are really tiny.

"These games featured bright, clear displays but the size of the
largest vacuum tubes that could be manufactured inexpensively kept the
size of the displays quite small, often requiring the use of
magnifying Fresnel lenses"
William L. Thomson Jr.
Al Poole
2017-05-06 19:38:10 UTC
If you are unhappy with the design, please do feel free to make changes and
submit.

There isn't a team of artists in this project, so artwork is only done when
developers both have the skills to do that and the time - both rare
resources.
William L. Thomson Jr.
Stephen Houston
2017-05-06 20:23:10 UTC
Really
Post by Al Poole
If you are unhappy with the design, please do feel free to make changes and
submit.
There isn't a team of artists in this project, so artwork is only done when
developers both have the skills to do that and the time - both rare
resources.
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-05-06 20:48:31 UTC
On Sat, 6 May 2017 20:38:10 +0100
Post by Al Poole
If you are unhappy with the design, please do feel free to make
changes and submit.
I have did you see the screenshot I provided on ticket?
https://phab.enlightenment.org/T5375

It is available here
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/eminence
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/eminence/releases
Post by Al Poole
There isn't a team of artists in this project, so artwork is only
done when developers both have the skills to do that and the time -
both rare resources.
I am quite aware. I am one of such people....
William L. Thomson Jr.
Al Poole
2017-05-06 20:53:45 UTC
I think I can say on behalf of both myself and the other developers that we
look forward to your efforts.
2017-05-07 03:07:00 UTC
Post by William L. Thomson Jr.
On Sat, 6 May 2017 20:38:10 +0100
Post by Al Poole
If you are unhappy with the design, please do feel free to make
changes and submit.
I have did you see the screenshot I provided on ticket?
https://phab.enlightenment.org/T5375
not much in the way of artwork :(. it's just removing the "unlit elements"
part. as per my mail to massimo, i think it doesn't look as nice as you now no
longer get the impression of there being a stack of elements with one o them
lit up. it doesn't look as "right".
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-05-07 03:49:07 UTC
On Sun, 7 May 2017 12:07:00 +0900
On Sat, 6 May 2017 16:48:31 -0400 "William L. Thomson Jr."
not much in the way of artwork :(. it's just removing the "unlit
elements" part. as per my mail to massimo,
Actually not really, they are still there just transparent. The proper
way would be to further remove from EDC. Just was easier to make them
transparent for experimentation. Then I can go on to removing etc.

Remaking digits is for later I have not started remaking any icons. I
have others to replace first. That were made in various sizes.
i think it doesn't look as
nice as you now no longer get the impression of there being a stack
of elements with one o them lit up. it doesn't look as "right".
I very much get you like the look. I got that reading the first post
from you in 2014 on the topic. Though I still would have spoke up.
It makes it less legible.
William L. Thomson Jr.
Massimo Maiurana

Ragusa (RG)
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
2017-05-07 02:11:19 UTC
Post by Massimo Maiurana
I've always thought those "artifacts" was intended, and I also like them :)
they were indeed intended. i also like them. i tried the plain look. it didnt
look right to me.
Post by Massimo Maiurana
Bye
Massimo
2017-05-07 03:14:03 UTC
Post by William L. Thomson Jr.
This is ridiculous. The default theme makes the clock look bad. I
that is a subjective opinion. there needs to be an understanding that objective
fact is far different to this.
Post by William L. Thomson Jr.
opened a bug on such. I also recently found at least 1 way to fix such
ugly issues.
I do not appreciate the ticket having been closed twice now over
semantics. This is a valid bug. The clock looks horrible by default. As
seen in the attached screenshot.
again. subjective. it does sound a bit like "i don't appreciate being disagreed
with". closing a ticket as invalid because it just presents an opinion (and
is expected to remain open for as long as the filter holds hat opinion) is not
a bad thing. it's clearing up noise.

opinions can indeed be had. they can be expressed and debated. but don't be
surprised if an opinion ticket gets closed as "nope - disagree".

if there were real artefacts here (e.g. in rendering) it'd be a problem and
something to keep open...
Post by William L. Thomson Jr.
https://phab.enlightenment.org/T5375
This is a valid bug/issue and should not be closed till resolved in
the current theme.
you seem to think resolved == "do it my way because my opinion is the only one
that counts". the clock was designed around he look of a nixie clock:

and you see all the digits as unlit pieces of wire. the ticket was validly
closed. it's invalid. it's not an artefact. it's not a bug. its intended
design.

so someone else didn't like it in the past too. so what? there is no such thing
"as everyone likes this" when it comes to art. or style. or colors. it never
exists. it's a design choice. like it or not. enough people like it. it's
consistent with the look and feel.

a few people saying "i don't like it" doesn't constitute a bug nor a reason to
go changing it. a LOT of people (eg the majority) might justify it. there has
been no mass outcry over it, so it remains in the opinion bucket. if you want -
maybe start a vote and see what percentage of people like or dislike it (within
the context of the theme as a whole - does it look nice/right with this theme
look and feel?)... then you may be getting somewhere, but now you're getting
into politics of "are you on my side or theirs? vote for me!" when this is
clearly not a bug, an artefact or a mistake. it's intended design and we're
arguing artistic merit, not technical issues.
The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler) ***@rasterman.com
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-05-07 03:42:56 UTC
On Sun, 7 May 2017 12:14:03 +0900
Post by Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
again. subjective. it does sound a bit like "i don't appreciate being
disagreed with". closing a ticket as invalid because it just presents
an opinion (and is expected to remain open for as long as the filter
holds hat opinion) is not a bad thing. it's clearing up noise.
opinions can indeed be had. they can be expressed and debated. but
don't be surprised if an opinion ticket gets closed as "nope -
disagree".
It should not be black and white. There should be ways to cater to all.
As others had suggested a potential 3rd option that would not have such
look.

It seems others are MUCH less receptive to doing things others ways and
catering to all. Its this way or that way, not all ways.... I tend to
try to cater to all, not some or myself. Thus I would have kept it open
till a solution was presented that satisfied all. Which could simply be
an option. Likely much less effort all around to code up such than to
debate.
Post by Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
you seem to think resolved == "do it my way because my opinion is the
only one that counts". the clock was designed around he look of a
In fact that is how it seems to come off the other way. I was not
around in 2014 when this came up before. But I did see you expressing
your opinion. It seems more like pot calling kettle black.
Post by Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
https://i2.wp.com/www.fiz-x.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Large-Glass-Nixie-Clock.jpg
The display of that clock looks nothing like that. Again I have been
around THOUSANDS of tubes. The dude was hoarding them like crazy. All
sorts of old devices in additions to ones he ordered. He made clocks
and all sorts of stuff in addition to the amplifiers.
Post by Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
and you see all the digits as unlit pieces of wire. the ticket was
validly closed. it's invalid. it's not an artefact. it's not a bug.
its intended design.
It looks much more like VFD, LCD, and LED displays. However when colors
and background, transparency etc. It ends up looking bad as it makes
it hard to read the clock. I am not the only one who has said such.
Post by Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
so someone else didn't like it in the past too. so what? there is no
such thing "as everyone likes this" when it comes to art. or style.
or colors. it never exists. it's a design choice. like it or not.
enough people like it. it's consistent with the look and feel.
Clearly there is a problem with catering to all. Its "your" way or no
way. Not saying you personally just saying in general. I tend to
present options. Do not like this way, ok fine, lets adapt it for
another use to make all happy.

What is wrong with that?
Post by Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
a few people saying "i don't like it" doesn't constitute a bug nor a
reason to go changing it.
From my reading of 2014, one person seemed to represent a larger
community. Many people will not speak up against such. Surely not when
they see people having such strong feelings towards a design they
prefer. With no acceptance that is causing VISUAL issues for others.

Ever think some may have poor eye sight? Oh screw the handicap right?
Really think, cater to more than just yourself. I have no problem with
that look remaining. But why not have options? There is a analog and
digital. There could be another option for a different look.... Does
not require a full on theme, debates, etc.
Post by Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
a LOT of people (eg the majority) might
justify it. there has been no mass outcry over it, so it remains in
the opinion bucket. if you want - maybe start a vote and see what
percentage of people like or dislike it (within the context of the
theme as a whole - does it look nice/right with this theme look and
feel?)... then you may be getting somewhere, but now you're getting
into politics of "are you on my side or theirs? vote for me!" when
this is clearly not a bug, an artefact or a mistake. it's intended
design and we're arguing artistic merit, not technical issues.
That is silly. Much easier to just add option to to display in various
formats and done.
William L. Thomson Jr.
PaulTT
Jonathan Aquilina
2017-05-10 19:42:52 UTC
Hi All,

If anything I owe everyone an apology as I started this kind of debate
on IRC when I mentioned maybe starting a UX team where i would focus on
the user experience of various aspects of e. So apologies for any issues
caused here.

---
Regards,

Jonathan Aquilina
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-05-10 19:59:16 UTC
On Wed, 10 May 2017 21:42:52 +0200
Post by Jonathan Aquilina
Hi All,
If anything I owe everyone an apology as I started this kind of debate
on IRC when I mentioned maybe starting a UX team where i would focus
on the user experience of various aspects of e. So apologies for any
issues caused here.
Nothing to do with you. It was the first thing I noticed. I filed a bug
on it as one of my first. On Apr 9 2017. Long before the IRC convo.

I will be doing a presentation next month for my LUG. They record the
presentations. I will make sure to ask everyone in the room about the
clock. That way you can see first hand how some react when seeing it
for the first time. I will not show any bias. I will ask two questions.

1. Can you read the clock easily?
2. What does it look like?

Curious if anyone says a tube, nixie, vfd, etc clock.

Really just something that needed 1 other option to never be an issue.
Via EDC would not have been much to make the same clock less those
images. Or one using text vs images for digits. Though why it has to be
one or the other and not option for both is interesting. All could
easily have been avoided :)
William L. Thomson Jr.
Simon Lees
2017-05-10 23:59:09 UTC
Post by Jonathan Aquilina
Hi All,
If anything I owe everyone an apology as I started this kind of debate
on IRC when I mentioned maybe starting a UX team where i would focus
on the user experience of various aspects of e. So apologies for any
issues caused here.
Nothing to do with you. It was the first thing I noticed. I filed a bug
on it as one of my first. On Apr 9 2017. Long before the IRC convo.
I will be doing a presentation next month for my LUG. They record the
presentations. I will make sure to ask everyone in the room about the
clock. That way you can see first hand how some react when seeing it
for the first time. I will not show any bias. I will ask two questions.
1. Can you read the clock easily?
2. What does it look like?
Curious if anyone says a tube, nixie, vfd, etc clock.
It looked more like a nixie clock originally but was changed to make it
easier to read the lower numbers as 2 and 3 used to have a greyed out
outline of 7 and 8 etc on top like a real one would.
--
Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
2017-05-11 03:32:00 UTC
Post by Jonathan Aquilina
Hi All,
If anything I owe everyone an apology as I started this kind of debate
on IRC when I mentioned maybe starting a UX team where i would focus on
the user experience of various aspects of e. So apologies for any issues
caused here.
i think this is a good idea. filing bugs with "this is an artefact - remove it.
it makes it unreadable" is not the way to go about it though. making statements
of FACT like "unreadable" requires more than just making the statement or
quoting 2 or 3 people.

you need to do some studies. e.g. flash the time up for 0.2 seconds then hide
it... then rate how many people can accurately tell you the time. do this with
or without the shadowed images. get decent enough stats to account for
outliers. even if there is a "5% better reading ability" there is still a mater
of weighing up design, styling vs raw usability too. someone has to make a
judgement call in the end.

generally when anyone says "that's unreadable" i instantly start ignoring
everything else. when you speak in superlatives it had better be obviously just
that. it's not. its far far far more subtle.

improving ux is a very broad thing. part of it is purely aesthetic and this is
often at the whim of fashion and personal preference. part is actually
measurable usability like the above.

i'm all for improving ux. but there has to be a distinction between subjective
and objective. :)
Post by Jonathan Aquilina
---
Regards,
Jonathan Aquilina
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-07-17 23:28:00 UTC
This looks horrible! Not to mention even with my glasses on I have a
hard time reading. But we have established no one cares about the
vision impaired running E.

I have spent well over an entire day now trying to replace this stupid
clock look. I have already fixed it in my theme, eminence. Now I am
having to figure out how I can fix this for entrance default theme.

Which seems because edje has some serious limitations. I cannot easily
inherit the default look, and override/replace an element. Such that I
am now having to copy the entire clock theme. Which I am running into a
series of other problems in doing such. With nothing working or any
signs of progress.

It is making me hate edje with a passion!!! Not to mention this damn
clock. Why must people spend hours of their time trying to change the
look? I thuoght theming supposed to be easy? How the heck is a graphic
artist supposed to do this stuff?

Ones personal preference should not cost others time like this to
change. At this point I am having to entirely re-do the clock,
replacing images with text. Otherwise I have to copy the clock images
from the default them into entrance theme for no reason. Duplicating
the default images is stupid. Even more so that I cannot use them
without copying into entrance theme.

Thus far nothing works and seems using elm_clock is a horrible waste of
time. I am not sure if it can be themed looking at the source code. I
can only get pieces of it to show up with my modifications and its not
functioning. The most frustrating thing I have touched thus far in EFL.

I seriously hate this clock!
William L. Thomson Jr.
Jean-Philippe André
2017-07-18 01:25:30 UTC
https://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-596cffc4015e98.11705649.jpg
[...]
There's also an analog mode, which has pretty high contrast. :-)
Jean-Philippe André
William L. Thomson Jr.
2017-07-18 01:48:25 UTC
On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 10:25:30 +0900
Post by Jean-Philippe André
There's also an analog mode, which has pretty high contrast. :-)
I would prefer to use that somewhat in entrance. I think it may have
less issues with a user background. But I could not find out how to
"use" that. Does not seem to be an available style for elm_code. I
think that is more gadget specific. I am not really sure.
--
William L. Thomson Jr.